Main Menu

Cover
Foreword
Introduction

Search Menu

Browse by Title
Browse by Keyword
Browse by Repository
Search by Keyword
 
Contacts
Credits
 

Other Sources

Minerva
UofL Libraries & Collections

Presbyterian Community Center records


Collection : Presbyterian Community Center records
Date/Extent : 1893-1973, 12 linear ft.
Description : Founded in 1898 by seminarians as Hope Mission Station, a summer Sunday school for African American children, the center evolved into a settlement house for the Smoketown neighborhood of Louisville and was joined in the task by Grace Mission. Financial support came from sponsoring churches, friends, and the Community Chest. In 1955 the name was changed to the John Little Presbyterian Center in honor of the center's founder and first director. In 1965 the name was changed again to the Presbyterian Community Center. Records contain annual reports, minutes, audit reports, programs, brochures, scrapbooks, and photographs; together with correspondence, reports, and a historical sketch of the mission. The collection also includes a biographical sketch of the Rev. John Little (1874-1948), founder and director for fifty years. The collection provides rich documentation on the center's activities and its role as and outpost in the federal government's war on poverty.
Repository : University Archives

 
Basketball team of Hope Mission, later Presbyterian Community Center, in 1926. From the Caufield and Shook collection, Photographic Archives.