Main Menu

Cover
Foreword
Introduction

Search Menu

Browse by Title
Browse by Keyword
Browse by Repository
Search by Keyword
 
Contacts
Credits
 

Other Sources

Minerva
UofL Libraries & Collections

Louisville General (University) Hospital records


Collection : Louisville General (University) Hospital records
Date/Extent : 1872-1983, 52.75 linear ft.
Description : Louisville General Hospital provided the principal teaching and research facilities for the University of Louisville Medical School as well as most of the indigent care for the region. Louisville General Hospital began as Louisville Hospital Company in 1817, admitting its first patients in 1823. It was known as the Louisville Marine Hospital until 1849, when the U.S. Marine Hospital was built. From then on it was the Louisville City Hospital, until the name changed to Louisville General Hospital in 1942. In 1983, Humana Health Care took over the management and the name was changed again to Humana Hospital University, and then to Columbia/HCA Hospital University as the parent company's name changed. The period from 1871 to 1946 is documented by admission books, with Board of Health materials, manuals, brochures and reports for the 1930s, 1941, and 1942. The period from 1970 to 1983 is covered by files from the director’s office, as well as the minutes of the administrative board and management council. Also present are contracts and agreements from 1948 to 1973. This collection also includes an index card file from the 1920s to 1977 of residents and interns at Louisville General Hospital listing the year of the appointment and the School of Medicine Department in which the person was assigned. The file was probably created from the original credentials files of residents and interns maintained by Louisville General Hospital prior to its reorganization as University Hospital in 1977. Also available at Kornhauser Health Sciences Library are related materials including a casebook from 1886 to 1889, annual reports from 1936 to 1940 and 1955, reports by health agencies and consultants, manuals and formularies, and a 1911 photograph of the hospital.
Repository : University Archives, Kornhauser Health Sciences Library

 
Hydropathic Ward at Louisville General Hospital, 1929. From the Herald-Post collection, Photographic Archives.